Man Shot During St. Cloud Drug Bust Awarded $350,000 | News
Stearns County's insurance trust has paid $350,000 to a man who was shot in the back by a sheriff's lieutenant during a drug bust.
John Albert Sorensen had sued the county and now-retired Lt. David McLaughlin, alleging excessive force.
The St. Cloud Times reports the lawsuit was settled last month after a federal judge denied a motion by McLaughlin to dismiss the excessive force claims.
Sorensen was shot in March 2009 during a drug bust in the parking lot of a McStop in St. Cloud.
McLaughlin argued the shooting was an accident that happened when Sorensen was being handcuffed and backed into the lieutenant's right hand, causing the gun to discharge.
Sorensen says he was complying with arrest commands and was shot as he was going to the ground.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AAA Report Shows Decline in Gas Prices from 2013
- Cone Zone: Construction Projects Kicking Off This Week
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Firefighters Battle Blaze at Tire Business in South St. Paul
- Volunteers Needed to Beautify Spiral Bridge in South St. Paul
- Soldier Surprise: Mom Overjoyed on 5th Anniversary of Son's Death
- Apple Valley Man Charged with Stealing $113k from his own Youth Sports Association
- Finance Manager Accused of Stealing $113K from Rosemount Area Athletic Association