Man Shot During St. Cloud Drug Bust Awarded $350,000 | News
Stearns County's insurance trust has paid $350,000 to a man who was shot in the back by a sheriff's lieutenant during a drug bust.
John Albert Sorensen had sued the county and now-retired Lt. David McLaughlin, alleging excessive force.
The St. Cloud Times reports the lawsuit was settled last month after a federal judge denied a motion by McLaughlin to dismiss the excessive force claims.
Sorensen was shot in March 2009 during a drug bust in the parking lot of a McStop in St. Cloud.
McLaughlin argued the shooting was an accident that happened when Sorensen was being handcuffed and backed into the lieutenant's right hand, causing the gun to discharge.
Sorensen says he was complying with arrest commands and was shot as he was going to the ground.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Sentencing of South St. Paul Man in Murder of Minn. National Guardsman Delayed
- West. St. Paul Students to Plant Trees at Schools, Homes Ahead of Earth Day
- Twin Cities Mothers Combat Postpartum Depression
- Burnsville Fire Department Looks to Improve Response Times
- A Look Inside the Twin Cities Premium Outlets in Eagan