Highway 14 Bids,132 Low Bid Revives Highway 14 Project in S Minn. | News
A long-awaited Highway 14 construction project in southern Minnesota appears to be back on track.
The project was nearly derailed six months ago by bids 31 percent higher than expected. But Matt Rottermond, project manager for the Minnesota Department of Transportation, tells the Free Press of Mankato officials were surprised at how low the lowest bid opened Friday was.
The bid by Mathiowetz Construction of Sleepy Eye came in just under $9.4 million. That compares with a low bid of $23.6 million last August, which prompted MnDOT to break the $18 million project into two halves. The other half will be bid this fall.
The project includes a new interchange at Highway 14 and Nicollet County Road 41 in North Mankato, and adds more than a mile of four-lane expressway.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man Changes Plea to Guilty in Murder of Minn. Nat'l Guard Sgt.
- Heated Sidewalk Trend Arrives at Mpls. Light Rail Stop
- Metro Cities Opening Debate for Food Trucks
- Both Survivors of Car Accident Near Carleton College in Satisfactory Condition
- Carleton College Community Mourns Loss of 3 Students Killed in Crash