Highway 14 Bids,132 Low Bid Revives Highway 14 Project in S Minn. | News
A long-awaited Highway 14 construction project in southern Minnesota appears to be back on track.
The project was nearly derailed six months ago by bids 31 percent higher than expected. But Matt Rottermond, project manager for the Minnesota Department of Transportation, tells the Free Press of Mankato officials were surprised at how low the lowest bid opened Friday was.
The bid by Mathiowetz Construction of Sleepy Eye came in just under $9.4 million. That compares with a low bid of $23.6 million last August, which prompted MnDOT to break the $18 million project into two halves. The other half will be bid this fall.
The project includes a new interchange at Highway 14 and Nicollet County Road 41 in North Mankato, and adds more than a mile of four-lane expressway.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Water Levels Remain High on Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake
- Burglars Climb through Ceiling, Cut Walls to Steal from Waconia Verizon Store
- Sheriff: St. Bonifacius Man Linked to String of Carver Co. Burglaries
- Volunteers Needed to Beautify Spiral Bridge in South St. Paul
- Soldier Surprise: Mom Overjoyed on 5th Anniversary of Son's Death
- Apple Valley Man Charged with Stealing $113k from his own Youth Sports Association
- Finance Manager Accused of Stealing $113K from Rosemount Area Athletic Association
- Twin Cities Premium Outlets Announces 30 New Stores Ahead of Opening