Stearns Deputy Shoots Homicide Suspect, Ends Manhunt | News
One man was killed and another was wounded after an officer-involved shooting in Rockville early Sunday morning.
According to the Stearns County Sheriff's Office, deputies responded to reports of a man with a gun on the 300 block of Broadway Street East around 4:01 a.m. Sunday.
While deputies were headed to the scene authorities learned the suspect had shot a man and left the area.
The shooting victim, identified as Jeffrey Schutz, 30, died just behind his home after his wife tried to give him CPR, authorities said.
Deputies later found the suspect, 28 year-old Marcus Barshaw of Walker (seen in mugshot at right), near an apartment building.
"Officers made verbal commands for him to drop the weapon," Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner told reporters shortly after noon. "He did not. He starts to point the weapon in the direction of the officers and at that time at least one officer shoots and strikes him."
The suspect was treated at the scene and was taken to St. Cloud Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition as of 4:45 p.m. Later, Barshaw was transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center; a spokesperson said she had no information to release as of 8:30 p.m.
Authorities are investigating this incident and were still on the scene as of 5 p.m., with a section of Broadway St. E, the main street through town, still closed to traffic.
Click here to view 'VIDEO: CHOPPER 5 Flies Over Scene of Officer Involved Shooting.'
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bitter Cold Continues with Another Arctic Blast
- Minnesota Car Fans to Honor 'Fast and Furious' Actor Paul Walker
- United Way Reminds Minnesotans to Use 2-1-1
- Chanhassen Approves Ordinance to Reduce Sex Trafficking at Massage Businesses
- Holiday Shoppers in West Suburbs can Take Public Transportation to MOA
- Lindsey Vonn 'Ready for Sochi,' Finishes 5th in a World-Cup Super-G
- Changes to Road Were Planned Before Crash that Killed Lakeville Teen
- Police Search for Farmington Woman Missing Since Nov. 1
- Lakeville Teen Killed in Crash was Soccer Player, FCA Leader
- Snow Keeps Metro Emergency Rooms Busy with Weather-Related Injuries