Stearns Deputy Shoots Homicide Suspect, Ends Manhunt | News
One man was killed and another was wounded after an officer-involved shooting in Rockville early Sunday morning.
According to the Stearns County Sheriff's Office, deputies responded to reports of a man with a gun on the 300 block of Broadway Street East around 4:01 a.m. Sunday.
While deputies were headed to the scene authorities learned the suspect had shot a man and left the area.
The shooting victim, identified as Jeffrey Schutz, 30, died just behind his home after his wife tried to give him CPR, authorities said.
Deputies later found the suspect, 28 year-old Marcus Barshaw of Walker (seen in mugshot at right), near an apartment building.
"Officers made verbal commands for him to drop the weapon," Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner told reporters shortly after noon. "He did not. He starts to point the weapon in the direction of the officers and at that time at least one officer shoots and strikes him."
The suspect was treated at the scene and was taken to St. Cloud Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition as of 4:45 p.m. Later, Barshaw was transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center; a spokesperson said she had no information to release as of 8:30 p.m.
Authorities are investigating this incident and were still on the scene as of 5 p.m., with a section of Broadway St. E, the main street through town, still closed to traffic.
Click here to view 'VIDEO: CHOPPER 5 Flies Over Scene of Officer Involved Shooting.'
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AAA Report Shows Decline in Gas Prices from 2013
- Cone Zone: Construction Projects Kicking Off This Week
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Police Locate Suspect's Vehicle in Officer Shooting Manhunt
- Witnesses Describe Moments After a Mendota Heights Police Ofc. was Shot, Killed
- 2 Indicted on 1st Degree Murder Charges in Death of Anarae Schunk
- Minnesota Officials Consider High-Speed Rail
- Northfield Police Looking for Shooting Suspect Believed to be Threat to Public