Northfield Councilman Takes on Kline for Congress | Politics
Northfield City Council member Patrick Ganey says he'll seek the Democratic endorsement to challenge Republican Rep. John Kline in the new 2nd Congressional District.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Ganey is the first Democrat to officially jump into the race. He's a development officer at Carleton College. Ganey said in a news release Saturday that he'll emphasize education for all Americans.
The 2nd District DFL convention is scheduled for April 28. The Democratic nominee will run against Kline, who is serving his fifth term representing the south suburban district, which became friendlier to Democrats under a redistricting map issued by a court panel last month. Kline chairs the House Education and Workforce Committee and served 25 years in the Marine Corps.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near Greater Minnesota
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Water Levels Remain High on Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake
- Burglars Climb through Ceiling, Cut Walls to Steal from Waconia Verizon Store
- Sheriff: St. Bonifacius Man Linked to String of Carver Co. Burglaries
- Most Minnesota Crop Conditions Improve
- Future of the Mississippi River is up for Debate
- Fire Damages Roof of Inver Grove Heights Elementary School
- Man Leads Police on High Speed Chase on Rosemount Police Training Track
- Man Arrested Months after Woman's Body Found in Dakota County Woods
- $1,000 Reward Offered in Mendota Heights Vandalism Cases